american dad

Thanks for the post from Bertha Randall

The other day I realized that most of the shows I tend to watch have one singular character that draws my interest. With the show How I met your Mother, it's Barney Stinson. The Office has Dwight Schrute. For American Dad, it's Roger, the alien. I wouldn't want to live his lifestyle, but I enjoy watching it. I guess that's why I also enjoy watching a lot of reality TV. Something about watching a train wreck is hard to avoid. Roger, dressed up as a human, always seems to find reach soaring heights in life only to crash down in some overdosed style fashion.
The original premise of the show was actually about a CIA dad, Stan Smith, and his relationships with his wife, son and his daughter. Roger was more of a side character who was thrown in for punchlines. While the show still focuses on those aforementioned relationships, the relationship between Roger and Stan has been a point of emphasis to develop over the past few seasons and the show is better for it. And it's not better because it leads to more character development or something that would enhance an episodes plot. It's better because there are way more funny moments and that is what sitcoms are there for -- to make us laugh. So I'll be continuing to catch American Dad on satellite TV from directstartv.com and laughing my head off in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment